Friday, 22 April 2016

When I Came to New York

When I came to New York, I started doing odd jobs initially. The rebel against the discriminations inside me could not stay calm and I still wanted to bring about a change. One day, I came across this news where 6 taxi drivers had been killed in the cases of theft or robbery and all of them were Pakistanis. 

I wanted to do something about it so I started driving a taxi myself to get the first hand experience. A taxi driver in NYC doesn't have the choice of which passenger to pick and which to ignore so the drivers weren't safe in the dangerous neighborhoods like ghettos. I got to know stories of fellow drivers and soon after, I founded New York Taxi Worker Alliance (Yellow Cabs) with three other partners. This is one of the most powerful alliances of yellow cabs in United States. It was my passion to fight against the odds which I am not only doing here but also trying to do the same back home. One thing is evident though: you can only help bring about change if people want the change.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment